- Agile technologist, with a focus in social video content creation and monetization.
- Results-oriented leader with a proven track-record in content development and multi-platform distribution
- Broad experience in account and relationship management, print and broadcast media, social and mobile strategy and influencer outreach.
- Widely acknowledged as the father of User-Generated Content.
- Holds two patents in the areas of video curation and video monetization technology.
- Best-selling author and public speaker.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE: OTT/SVOD/Video, Digital Media, Multiplatform Storytelling, Mobile First Product Development, Audience Development and Engagement, Strategic Partnerships.
SKILLS: Social Media (Twitter,FB, Snaptchat, Instagram), User-Generated Video Content, Blog and Video Blog producer, OBS Platform, WordPress, Final Cut (7,10), Photoshop, YouTube, Amazon Video.
Oaklins DeSilva + Phillips | Senior Advisor 2017 – Present – Chosen to grow video practice of highly respected boutique investment bank – D+P has advised on more than 300 transactions valued at over $11 billion. – Focused on growing digital and traditional media, advertising & marketing
TED Residency 2017 – 2017
– Member, TED 2017.
– Chosen for highly competitive Residency program
– Offered to give TED Talk about my search topic: “Fake News”
– Coaching other residents as to how to use social media, podcasting, influencer marketing
Waywire Networks 2013 – 2017
• Curator In Chief
– Acquired company from now US Senator Cory Booker and his investors
– Conceived, Designed, Tested, and Launched unique narrowcast video network
– Grew team of content experts, created curator network.
New York City: Economic Development Corporation 2011 – 2014
• NYC EDC Entrepreneur at Large
– Worked with Bloomberg Administration to strengthen NY tech community
– Met with local entrepreneurs, helped them engage city government resources.
– Attended city events as a representative of EDC
– Held office hours at workspaces includingWeWork, BMWi Incubator, Varick St. Incubator
– Created and launched “Virtual Office Hours” for EDC with Google Hang Outs
– Led nomination process for NYC Venture Fellows
Magnify SaaS 2010 – 2013
• Head of Sales / Product Lead
To meet market opportunities, the consumer self-serve Magnify UGC platform pivoted to a cloud-based SaaS offering. Leading the review and implementation, grew sales from $0 to almost $2m landing “A” list clients including: Patagonia, AARP, New York Magazine, TEDx, CES Columbia University, Time Out NY, CES, Mediaite, Haymarket, Penton, Rodale, Boston Magazine, The Sands Casino, The Root, Gay Ad Network and Outdoor Life.
• Worldwide growth grew by174% in six months
• Page views totaled 15,745,953, a 23.71% increase
• Raised round of venture and debt financing
Magnify UGC Platform 2007- 2010
*Co-Founder / Chief Evangelist
After recognizing the need for more internet video, conceived the process of video curation, wireframed the platform, recruited a CTO, raised seed financing – and launched the company at the widely acclaimed DEMO conference in Scottsdale Az.
• Increased sales 90% YOY, bringing venture-backed company to CFBO in 3 years
• Provided curated content from providers including YouTube, AOL, NBC, Conde Nast, BBC News, Reuters, Brightcove, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Metacafe, Veoh, eHow, and Blip.tv
• Raised angel funding, grew revenue, users, and traffic. Raised A and B rounds
Broadcast News Networks 2000 – 2006
• Founder, Editor In Chief
– Grew statewide syndicated television business (ad supported) BROADCAST: New York
– Drove sales from launch to exceed 5.4 m – driven by direct sales and marketing.
– Won two Emmys for original regional programming.
– Invented User-Generated News, created Viewers News segment for BNN
– Conceived, pitched, sold “MTV-Unfiltered” to the Viacom owned music channel
– Grew company to 140 employees, providing long-form TV to HBO, A&E, Discovery, CNN,
Court TV, VH1, MTV, and MSNBC.
CameraPlanet.com 2000 – 2002
• Founder, Chief Digital Officer
– Built digital content innovation lab from inside BNN.
– Invited early video creators to a shared video content platform
– Launched early stage website development division
OurTown Television 1983 – 2000
• Founder, Executive Producer
– Sold local news magazine show to 650,000 upstate NY cable outlets
– Grew the network to all the upstate NY NBC stations, on barter-syndication basis
– Found new, low cost and effective ways to create and distribute television
· B.A. in English with honors
Awards and Recognition
· Science Journalism Laureate – Purdue University
· Emmy Award – Outstanding Magazine Format Programing
· Emmy Award – “Life On Trial – AIDS Guinea Pigs”|
· Emmy (nom) With All Deliberate Speed / Exceptional Merit in Nonfiction Filmmaking
BOARDS OF DIRECTORS / VOLUNTEER WORK
Boards and Advisory Roles
· New York Video Meetup, Organizer (2012 – Current)
· Video Ink – Online publisher. Advisory Board Member
· Snakt – Video sharing platform. Advisor.
· Classwish – Advisor
· National 9/11 Memorial Museum / Donor and Advisor
· Producers Guild East (PGA) Founding Board Member
Articles: Fast Company, Nieman Reports, Columbia Journalism Review, Forbes, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Mashable, The Atlantic
Books: Curation Nation. McGraw Hill, 2011.
Curate This, Amazon, 2015
Huffington Post: Technology
Media Post: MediaTech Insider
MediaBiz Bloggers: Thought Leaders
Forbes: Inside The Startup Economy